Java 7 for Fedora 16

Deepak Bhole dbhole at redhat.com
Mon Jul 25 20:04:25 UTC 2011

* Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> [2011-07-25 15:54]:
> Toshio Kuratomi (a.badger at gmail.com) said:
> > Robyn and I have talked about how the feature process could be adapted to
> > allow for more late work to occur however none of that talk has turned into
> > anything solid yet.  One point that bears on this is that the Feature Owners
> > must be willing to commit to doing all the work involved in coordination
> > when they submit something late.  In other words, if Java 7 update went in
> > well before the feature deadline, the expectation would be that packagers
> > whose packages depended on Java would need to adapt to Java 7.  The
> > expectation now that the Feature Freeze has passed is that the people
> > pushing Java 7 into the repos would also need to seek out and fix all the
> > packages that depend on them that are broken.
>
> Would we actually be shipping only 7, or both 6 and 7?

This hasn't been debated yet, but I am very much in favour of having
only 7 in Fedora 16.

If the reason for asking was w.r.t re-builds, it is unlikely that most
applications will need a rebuild -- only those using deprecated APIs
(which would have been deprecated for years now) and private APIs would
be affected. That would likely be a small subset.

Opinions from others are welcome..

Cheers,
Deepak