Java 7 for Fedora 16

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jul 26 06:22:08 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-23 at 14:00 -0700, Douglas Myers–Turnbull wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just something I wanted to bring to attention:
>
> Java 7 is slated for release (after years of hassle and heated debate)
> on 28 July, 2011.
> I think this would be an important feature to include for the Fedora
> 16 release, and the months between Java's release and Fedora 16's 25
> October release would allow plenty of time to integrate Java 7. If I'm
> not mistaken, if Java 7 isn't released this time around, it won't be
> in Fedora until the Fedora 17 release rolls around, nearly a year (!)
> after Java 7 is released.
>
> I created an unfinished, skeletal feature page here:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Java7
> Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge to help build it. I'm
> announcing it here in case whoever maintains Java 6 in Fedora, or
> someone else, is interested.

as I always point out when this comes up, in the hopes that it'll
eventually irritate someone enough that they go fix the feature process,
the option is open to simply put Java 7 in without it being a 'Fedora
feature'. If you do it that way, you could do it right up to, hmm, the
post-Beta final freeze without there being any firm policy grounds on
which to object to the change. it's only if you declare it to be a
Feature that FESCo is clearly empowered to tell you you can't do it. ;)

(I note with interest Toshio's neat caveat to this, which appears later
in the thread.)
--
Adam "it's not a feature, it's just a version bump!" Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey