Java 7 for Fedora 16

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jul 26 07:21:31 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 00:05 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> > as I always point out when this comes up, in the hopes that it'll
> > eventually irritate someone enough that they go fix the feature process,
> > the option is open to simply put Java 7 in without it being a 'Fedora
> > feature'. If you do it that way, you could do it right up to, hmm, the
> > post-Beta final freeze without there being any firm policy grounds on
> > which to object to the change. it's only if you declare it to be a
> > Feature that FESCo is clearly empowered to tell you you can't do it. ;)
> >
> > (I note with interest Toshio's neat caveat to this, which appears later
> > in the thread.)
> >
> Actually, I'd consider this to be very bad advice.  There have been several
> Features over the past few releases that FESCo has decided on late.  Those
> things were sometimes made into features only after prompting by people who
> realized that the changes were unannounced features.
>
> Things that require coordination between maintainers are a feature and FESCo
> has a right to veto them whether the authors of the feature have followed
> the feature process or not.  The policy encompasses anything defined as
> a feature:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy/Definitions

I agree! It is very bad advice, and it wasn't actually meant as advice
(apologies for the very bad wording here, I had four hours of sleep last
night and wrote that on the tenth hour of a train ride), but more as my
traditional monthly snipe at the gap in the feature process. So, I went
and did something a bit more productive:

https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/653

hope that's useful.
--
Adam Williamson