Systemd transition prevents updating older release branches??

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Jul 26 17:17:33 UTC 2011

Tom Lane (tgl at redhat.com) said:
> Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> writes:
> > Tom Lane (tgl at redhat.com) said:
> >> IOW, once I push a mysql update with native systemd support into
> >> rawhide, I'll be forbidden from ever rebasing mysql in F15 up to
> >> a newer upstream patch release.  Considering that upstream issues
> >> bug-fix releases about once a month, this is hardly acceptable.
>
> > No, it just means you'll have to tweak the versioning in the rawhide
> > trigger at the same time.
>
> That sounds too fragile for words.  Even assuming that I remember to do
> it each time, what will happen to people who are already running the
> previous rawhide version?  Seems like "yum update" will result in
> running the trigger again.

If the trigger's written correctly, that shouldn't make a difference.

An example:

%triggerun -- ntpdate < 4.2.6p3-3
if /sbin/chkconfig --level 3 ntpdate ; then
        /bin/systemctl enable ntpdate.service &> /dev/null || :
fi
exit 0

If you don't continue to ship the ntpdate init script in the package once
you've migrated to systemd, this trigger is harmless if triggered again.

Bill