Systemd transition prevents updating older release branches??

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 20:06:49 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 11:20:10AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> writes:
> > On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:37:43AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Michal Hlavinka's solution of explicitly testing for the old sysv init
> >> script seems like a win from here, since I don't intend to continue
> >> packaging that.  Anyone have an objection to that approach?
>
> > Yes, I object.  As Michal said in his post, the %post that he uses is
> > problematic if someone has installed a package with sysv init scripts for
> > that service.
>
> That argument seems like a straw man, considering that the file to be
> tested for was provided by the previous version of mysql-server, and
> that the test would only be made when we know we are upgrading (not
> freshly installing) mysql-server.  It's hardly likely that anyone was
> providing a conflicting version of it.  Moreover, what's the downside
> if someone did?  His sysv-based boot configuration would get migrated
> to systemd.  Not exactly fatal, I think.

Alternate init systems are currently allowed within Fedora.  The init
scripts may come from subpackages of the service-providing package or they
may come from entirely separate packages so that they can bootstrap that
init system and so that they can be done without causing the
service-providing package maintainer to do work for things that are not the
default init system.

With that in mind, your assumptions are wrong.

> > Please read the link I posted to Ville's message instead[1]_.
>
> Thanks, but I do not intend to make it my job to do extensive testing
> of someone else's scriptlets.  This work should have been done by the
> systemd team before foisting a poorly-thought-out upgrade process on
> the rest of us.

Well, then you'lll just have to use the scriptlet that is in the packaging
guidelines as it's the only one that we've tested.

> On balance I still think that Michal's solution is the least risky.
> None of these solutions are perfect, but that one is the least likely
> to fail over time.

Let me say it again, a little differenttly then:  Michal's solution has
known breakage.  Ville's proposal has no known breakage (if you follow the
correct recipe that he gives) at this time.  Ville's method is an extension
of the method present in Michal's solution with additional logic to not
break in the situations that Michal's is known to break under.

If you still consider Michal's solution the least risky knowing that it's
broken and that what's essentially a bugfix to it exists, then I don't know
what to tell you.

-Toshio