rawhide openssh-server update kills sshd

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Jul 26 20:13:59 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 06:22:50PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
 > FYI, I've just yum-updated my rawhide VM to the latest
 > (but not from the console) and was surprised to lose the connection
 > while it was happening.  Again.  It happened to me last week, too.
 >
 > I got back in via the console and tried to reinstall it via "yum
 > reinstall openssh-server".  That failed (sorry, didn't record the diagnostic).
 >
 > Just dug a little and found this was reported a week ago:
 >
 >    http://bugzilla.redhat.com/722625

It bit me again yesterday, this time while in a screen session
(I thought I'd learn from the earlier mistake). When I logged back in,
somehow the screen session had vanished.

This behaviour from sshd is pretty nasty. I don't recall it ever
doing this before on updates, so why does it start doing it now ?

arguably that bz should be reassigned to sshd, as that's the root cause
for yum freaking out.

	Dave