Adding ~/.local/bin to default PATH

Misha Shnurapet shnurapet at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jul 27 02:22:13 UTC 2011

27.07.2011, 10:17, "Chris Adams" <cmadams at hiwaay.net>:
> I've used ~/bin since before Linux was available, so I don't really see
> the point in trying to "hide" it (of course, I alias ls to "ls -FCA", so
> ~/.bin wouldn't be hidden, just one extra character to type when I need
> to access it).

Noone has asked to "hide it". :-) The proposal here is that both paths are included in $PATH by default. Your personal preference won't be hurt. In fact, it's a different story.

27.07.2011, 01:49, "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones at redhat.com>:
>>  PATH=$PATH:$HOME/.local/bin:$HOME/bin
>
> This was added between bash-4.2.10 -2 and -3:

I did a fresh install of F15 in the late May, and it's not there.

27.07.2011, 04:15, "Chris Adams" <cmadams at hiwaay.net>:
> IMHO adding directories to the default path should get a little more
> discussion than a single BZ request (and probably shouldn't be changed
> mid-release without notice).

Yes! Fedora *is* a place to do mid-release changes.

A notice, however, must be issued on critical changes (which is not the case here).

--
Best regards,
Email: shnurapet AT fedoraproject.org, IRC: misha on freenode