Starting a SIG for package reviews

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Wed Jul 27 06:01:36 UTC 2011

For a while now I've wanted to get some sort of package review SIG
going.  The package review process hasn't really evolved much since it
was instituted way back when, and now it (and the portion of the
sponsorship process it overlaps) has become a major bottleneck in one of
the main ways of getting new contributors into the project.

I'm (once again*) looking for a few good volunteers to get the SIG off
the ground.  In the past every discussion about starting this SIG has
sidetracked off into grand discussion about tools that can take care of
the process, but at the start I'd like to focus on organization.  How
many people can we muster?  Do we need to have some sort of regular IRC
meetings?  How can we best attack the ever-growing review queue?

Once we have some basic things figured out and reasonable-sized group of
people involved, we can move on to the big issues of policies,
modifications to the process, working with FESCo and, yes, tools.

So, if you want to help out, feel free to reply.  Add yourself to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Package_Review#Members if you like.
If you have ideas, add them to the brainstorming section there as well.

*) Yes, I've tried to do this before, a good three years ago.  It didn't
 get off the ground then, but it's never too late to try again and the
 need for this SIG is, I think, more pressing now than it's ever been.

 - J<