Adding ~/.local/bin to default PATH

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Wed Jul 27 08:30:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 09:34:04PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> I don't think it makes a lot of sense to have a visible directory for
> binaries. People will see that, and be annoyed.

 (I have a suggestion, what about to install by default the old good
 heroin kernel module?  It was able to hide running processes, files,
 etc.)

 Seriously, use hidden directory in unnecessary.

> Note that there are a number of 3rd party projects making use of
> ~/.config/bin afaik, including jhbuild which installs its executable to
> that dir.

 It would be nice to clean up $HOME, radically reduce the number of
 the subdirectories and config files in the $HOME. If *all* the garbage
 will be in ~/local/{etc,bin,lib,var/log} then nobody will care if the
 directory is hidden. My wish is

  $ ls -ls ~/
  drwxrwxr-x. 31 kzak kzak   4096 Jul 26 15:54 .
  drwxrwxr-x. 13 kzak kzak   4096 Jul 26 15:49 ..
  drwxr-xr-x   2 kzak kzak   4096 Jul 26 15:54 local

 and nothing other, .mozilla, vimrc, bash_profile, .xsession-errors,
 etc. all could be in ~/local, but then the directory should be really
 visible.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak at redhat.com>