Adding ~/.local/bin to default PATH

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Jul 27 14:01:43 UTC 2011

On Wed, 27.07.11 13:10, Andrew Haley (aph at redhat.com) wrote:

> > Nah, the basedir spec does not mandate the bin subdir.
> >
> > WHat I said in the bug report is that I think it makes a lot of sense to
> > have the XDG basedir stuff in the $PATH.
>
> I have to say that
>
> a.  xdg (in the form of Lennart) already is in the loop
> b.  xdg doesn't require (or even suggest) ~/.local/bin
>
> and therefore
>
> c.  This issue is purely Fedora-local, at least for the time being.

Nah, not really, as mentioned jhbuild installs itself by default into
that dir.

> Maybe xdg will decide to endorse ~/.local/bin; maybe not.  Either way,
> it may be that this change to Fedora is premature.

You should know that there is no formal entity that would be
"XDG". It's just a mailing list, where discussions take place, plus a
few people with commit access to the specs git repo.

I think the right approach here is to prep a patch for the spec and make
the dir official given that a) it probably makes sense to have a
standardized dir like this, b) it has been implemented in at least one
OS already, and c) it has been implemented by at least one application
already.

If somebody preps a patch, posts it to the xdg ML I'd be happy to help
the patch through the process, and eventually commit it if there's
enough agreement on the xdg ML about it. Anyone?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.