Adding ~/.local/bin to default PATH

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Jul 27 14:13:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, 27.07.11 16:05, Miloslav Trmač (mitr at volny.cz) wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> > I think the right approach here is to prep a patch for the spec and make
> > the dir official given that a) it probably makes sense to have a
> > standardized dir like this,
>
> I can't really see who is the expected user of ~/.local/bin .  From my
> POV the whole point of ~/.local is to store data that is hidden from
> users - it is "application" data, not "user data".
>
> Programs within the home directory were, presumably, explicitly
> installed and created by the user, so they are "user data" - and
> should be visible.

It's too late. XDG basedir is an established spec, since years
ago. There's no point in discussing this anymore.

Also, not only XDG basedir established these dirs, Python did too:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0370/

I'd be delighted if somebody would prep a patch for the XDG basedir spec
to get it more in line with PEP 370.

So, now we know:

a) there's at least one app already implementing ~/.local/bin

b) there's at least one OS already implementing ~/.local/bin

c) there's a spec about ~/.local/bin already accepted by a friendly project

d) there is point in having a standardized dir for this

hence: let's just change the xdg basedir spec to standardize it.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.