RPM version goes backward in Rawhide

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Jul 27 16:19:08 UTC 2011

On 7/27/11 2:03 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> There is a big difference between "a package going backwards in its EVR
> and staying there" and "a package getting untagged because it breaks koji
> buildroot and with the plan to go forward in EVR as soon as the bug is
> found and fixed".

If it goes backwards to await a fix, that fix needs to be happening
within the same day or so.  Not prolonged so that updates fail on users'
systems.

> In this case, the bad rpm-build broke koji builds, and since Rawhide
> may eat babies, it can happen that Rawhide users need downgrade manually
> while they have to wait for the fixed rpm-build.

We are trying very hard to kill the notion that "rawhide may eat
babies".  It's non-productive.  There are multiple ways to throw
baby-eating updates over the wall for testing before they get into
rawhide.  Stop treating it like a dumping ground.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!