Adding ~/.local/bin to default PATH

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Wed Jul 27 16:54:20 UTC 2011

> On Wed, 27.07.11 17:40, Roman Rakus (rrakus at redhat.com) wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>> from the discussion here, I'm tempted to revert the change. Any objections?
>
> Yes. I am for keeping it in, and have prepped a patch for XDG basedir to
> make it official.

 What actually is the benefit of doing this? Why does xdg need the shell
have the PATH env include this - if xdg wants to use a fixed path - then
should it not use a fixed path and not require specific PATH environment
anyway?

 There seem to be 2 issues here which are being mixed up it seems to me ...

   (i) merits of putting binaries in a .local/bin area for xdg
convenience (or whatever)

  (ii) need to have that same area be in the default PATH.

 (i) does not imply (ii) at all.

 So I vote to remove it from the default shell path.

 gene