Adding ~/.local/bin to default PATH

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Thu Jul 28 09:28:50 UTC 2011

On 07/27/2011 04:05 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <mzerqung at 0pointer.de>  wrote:
>> I think the right approach here is to prep a patch for the spec and make
>> the dir official given that a) it probably makes sense to have a
>> standardized dir like this,
> I can't really see who is the expected user of ~/.local/bin .  From my
> POV the whole point of ~/.local is to store data that is hidden from
> users - it is "application" data, not "user data".
>
> Programs within the home directory were, presumably, explicitly
> installed and created by the user, so they are "user data" - and
> should be visible.
>      Mirek

I disagree. If you want to use extra programs, you should be skilled
enough to use ~/.local/bin directory, it's not that hard to use it. So
called hidden directories are not trying to be invisible. They are
hidden just so they don't pollute users "Open file" or "Save as..."
dialogs, we have hidden .config, .gconf and even .wine so your
~/.wine/drive_c is "hidden". bin directory is not directory for random
files, files are not stored there frequently, those files are not
removed nor modified frequently. Don't forget to tell your users "do not
store random files in ~/bin" and things like that. Also if you want
something "bigger" than just one executable, where would do you put
other files? Another directory in in $HOME ? ~/.local prefix is much
better, you can add there other directories and keep your $HOME clean.