XDG and default directories (Re: Adding ~/.local/bin to default PATH)

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Thu Jul 28 13:39:55 UTC 2011

On 07/27/2011 10:52 AM, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 12:43:09 +0200 Nicolas Mailhot
> <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
>> Le mercredi 27 juillet 2011 à 12:26 +0200, Stijn Hoop a écrit :
>>> and even better is the fact that I can now put that area
>>> somewhere else than on our default stupidly-expensive backupped
>>> NFS filesystem.
>>
>> And what will happen to your users when selinux starts enforcing
>> download jails and the directory it applies settings to is not the
>> one you use? Do you really thinks that's hypothetical? Browsers
>> are looking hard at sandboxing nowadays. Note that other security
>> frameworks do not even have the path/label separation they work
>> directly on paths.
>
> Why would selinux / apparmor NOT respect the same environment that
> is used for the live user?
>
> If the root cause is because selinux / apparmor is technically not
> able to use per-user environment variables for non-standard
> subdirectories of /home, I submit that I simply need to be capable to
> not only set the environment variable, but also modify our selinux
> configuration to match.
>
> I already accepted the premise that having an NFS mounted /home
> (where I preferably do not want to store the newest HQ movies) is not
> a standard Linux environment anymore, by having to set the variable
> in the first place.
>
>> Really if there was a need (for nfs users for example) for the
>> download area to reside on a different root it should have been
>> defined on a different root from the start up (like the rest of
>> the filesystem layout was done) instead of trying to variabilize
>> the layout.
>
> I agree, that would also work in this specific case. However I note
> that the defaults make sense in a personal workstation case, which
> is fine by me. Having /home and /localhome (examples) for a single
> workstation is more confusing.
>
>> Now the default locations are just going to be hardcoded right and
>> left with subtle difficult to debug failures when one tries to move
>> one of them like proposed by the spec.
>
> Exactly my point as well, let's get those fixed.
>
> --Stijn

SELinux will work with variable paths, as long as you setup the labeling
correctly.  SELinux really does not care about the paths, other then if
you relabel the system.

So if you want to move files around within a homedir, and we care about
securing the content differently you can change the label.

Most of the labels in the users homedir are for System Services that
need to use content in the home dir.  (~/.ssh, ~/public_html,
~/public_git)  Or setuid apps like gnome-sandbox, nsplugin that need to
use directories in the homedir.  Then we are doing some experimental
stuff like confining telepathy apps, but those are turned off for most
users.