Adding ~/.local/bin to default PATH

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Thu Jul 28 14:50:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-07-28 at 08:54 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 07/28/2011 08:41 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:

> >> Currently Fedora only separates out the /lib* directories in multilib
> >> installations - you'll find a mix of 32 and 64 bit binaries in the system binary
> >> paths on these systems.
> >>

> >  which is fine for a 'system' which is 64 bit and may support 32 bit as
> > well - its not fine for a 'user'  who logs in to a 32 bit machine from a
> > 64 bit machine and now his binaries wont work.
>

>   In the same way as an NFS mounted /usr/local/bin which only had 64 bit
> binaries would not be a lot of use on a 32 bit machine. It can be dealth
> with of course - what I've seen in this case, is either 2 different
> mounts or making both available and having the PATH adjust as needed.
> Add to that different architectures and the PATH way gets nasty fast. My
> preference is for the machine to mount the right one under /usr/local
> (or /usr/share or whatever.

My understanding of the history of /usr/local's nomenclature is that it
was intended to be "local" to the machine (and thus not NFS mounted).

Your point applies just as well to /usr; but I think the intent was for
NFS-mounted /usr to accommodate a single point of installation in
homogeneous environments; supporting heterogeneous environments just
wasn't the point.

My impression is that NFS-mounted /usr is pretty uncommon these
days--and perhaps unheard-of using Linux.

NFS-mounted $HOME, however, continues to be relatively common and
certainly warrants consideration.

--
Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com>