RPM version goes backward in Rawhide

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Thu Jul 28 16:16:20 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 11:41:47AM -0400, James Antill wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 09:19 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On 7/27/11 2:03 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > > In this case, the bad rpm-build broke koji builds, and since Rawhide
> > > may eat babies, it can happen that Rawhide users need downgrade manually
> > > while they have to wait for the fixed rpm-build.
>
>  distro-sync also helps, and is a bit more generic.
>
> > We are trying very hard to kill the notion that "rawhide may eat
> > babies".  It's non-productive.
>
>  Sisyphean task ... IMO.
>
> >   There are multiple ways to throw
> > baby-eating updates over the wall for testing before they get into
> > rawhide.  Stop treating it like a dumping ground.
>
>  But at some point you have to commit. You have to have a place all the
> updates go first, currently that's rawhide. It's been rawhide for ~20
> years, it seems like a better idea for it to continue to be rawhide and
> just create a "tanned" repo. (or multiple ones) that eats less babies.

Raw Hide's only existed since 1998 [1], but anyway.

I'd lean more toward reminding package maintainers who put updates into
Raw Hide that what they put there impacts everyone else who's trying to
put updates into Raw Hide -- _one_ person breaking Raw Hide makes it
harder for _all_ package maintainers to get things done.

I'm probably understating just how frustrating that is (for me, at
least), but using harsher words would probably undermine my point.

Nalin

[1] http://www.redhat.com/about/news/prarchive/1998/press_rolling.html