Intent to package GNOME Shell frippery

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Sat Jul 30 06:23:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-29 at 10:57 +0200, drago01 wrote:

> Well in gnome 3.2 (which should be out for F16) extensions will be
> like firefox extensions i.e you go to extensions.gnome.org and click
> "install" to install an extension.
> Distro packaged extensions are frowned upon upstream.

So, just so I understand, the requirement/assumption is that all
machines will be online and pulling bits down directly from GNOME? That
won't map at all to enterprise or non-fully connected environments. It
needs to be possible to install/provision a system with this kind of
functionality because users are going to want to get these extensions.

David: on the subject of your followup...my advice, by the way, is that
life is too short to continue to try to explain why GNOME Shell is
unusable for folks like you and I. I'd just switch to XFCE and be done
with it. My machines are a lot happier for having made the switch :)

Jon.