Fwd: Rapid DHCP

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Sat Jul 30 14:31:04 UTC 2011

On 07/30/2011 04:48 AM, Ryan Rix wrote:

> Reading the hackernews comments on it makes me wonder if this is a very good
> idea. It may work for people in certain usecases, but in the case of Fedora
> probably not so much
>
> http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2756952
> http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2757785

>> http://cafbit.com/entry/rapid_dhcp_or_how_do

 Hmm ... the complaint of changing IP does not seem to make sense - as I
read the article - the MAC simply remembers server info and instead of a
blind dhcp (which causes delays if you are now on a new network as the
dhcp server will not NAK a network for which is not authoritative), it
ARP's the remembered server first which is very fast - hard to see how
this would cause problems (shy of bugs of course)...

 gene/