What is the status of Features/YumLangpackPlugin?

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Jun 2 15:28:56 UTC 2011

José Matos (jamatos at fc.up.pt) said:
> My problem in a sense is that it is limited in scope. :-(
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/YumLangpackPlugin was the feature page
> for when the feature was initially deployed. The purpose of this is post is to
> raise awareness for this feature and continue to have it implemented to have a
> better experience for our users (from where developers are a subset).
>
> 1) "This feature will also allow firefox and thunderbird to earn langpacks as
> they deserve."

It certainly allows for it - it requires that the packagers take advantage
of it. ISTR discussions in the past that the mechanics of creating the
langpacks in the spec file wasn't something they wanted to deal with at the
time. yum-langpacks can't help with that part.

> 2) In the Optional/longer term ideas:
> "3. recommendation for Packaging Guideline for standard naming of langpacks
> (eg <basename>-langpack-<lang>)"
>
> This seems an easy step, both to standardize the form of <lang> as well as to
> suggest a virtual provides to packages that already provide this, I am
> thinking in this case of packages like kde-i18n* or kde-i10n*.

These virtual provides should be there for any langpack that exists. I
suppose I should write an official packaging guideline for this.

Bill