Heads up: impending IPv6 Test Day

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jun 2 15:40:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 08:22:25AM +0200, fkooman at tuxed.net wrote:
> This [1] may be of some help as a high level overview of how to deploy
> IPv6 on a LAN and various operating system IPv6 compatibilities.
> Fedora is doing quite well! The document is not a configuration help,
> but it might make it clear how everything fits together and brush you
> up on your IPv6 :-)
[...]
> [1]  http://www.surfnet.nl/Documents/IPv6%20Deployment%20In%20Local%20Area%20Networks.pdf

This document is a good introduction, but it appears to assume that
I've got an IPv6 router and internet connection.  I guess that's not
going to apply to very many people.

Is there an easy way I can set up IPv6 and a handful of machines on my
LAN for testing, without requiring any IPv6 internet connection or an
IPv6 assigned prefix?

The Linux machines on my LAN appear to have acquired IPv6 addresses, eg:

$ ip addr show eth0
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UNKNOWN qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:e0:81:74:02:28 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.0.128/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global eth0
    inet6 fe80::2e0:81ff:fe74:228/64 scope link
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

but pinging them gives me strange errors:

$ ping6 fe80::2e0:81ff:fe74:228/64
unknown host
$ ping6 fe80::2e0:81ff:fe74:228
connect: Invalid argument
$ ping6 fe80::2e0:81ff:fe74
connect: Invalid argument

(Note I have no idea at all what I'm doing here so it's probably some
elementary error).

Rich.