Heads up: impending IPv6 Test Day

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jun 2 21:11:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 09:11:47PM +0200, fkooman at tuxed.net wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Is there an easy way I can set up IPv6 and a handful of machines on my
> > LAN for testing, without requiring any IPv6 internet connection or an
> > IPv6 assigned prefix?
>
> If you do want an assigned prefix, or real connectivity and not want
> to set up a (static) tunnel it may be possible to use 6to4 if your
> router is not behind NAT. See
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/IPv6Guide#Tunnel_Configuration.
>
> I did not test this myself (in Fedora), and 6to4 tends to be a bit
> flaky (in general) so ymmv.

I was thinking about the lowest barrier to entry possible so that as
many people can test Fedora IPv6 next week, even if they're only
testing it on their LAN.

Setting up 6to4 involves at least joining a service like sixxs, which
even if free takes a certain amount of time and effort.

I just turned on radvd, and now my Fedora machines are getting IPv6
addresses.  By adding DNS entries for a few machines, it's choosing
IPv6 protocol by default for many things including writing (if not
sending) this email.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/