Heads up: impending IPv6 Test Day

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jun 2 22:02:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 04:53:25PM -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> On 06/02/2011 04:11 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > Setting up 6to4 involves at least joining a service like sixxs, which
> > even if free takes a certain amount of time and effort.
>
> The method you quoted does not require an account with a tunnel provider.
>
> There is an RFC giving provisions for global IPv4 to IPv6 routers using
> the 2002 prefix. Sprint has some 6to4 routers spread around the USA.
>
> I'm using the 6to4 method (for several years now). The only requirement
> is that you must perform the setup on an Internet-connected router box,
> not on a workstation behind a router.
>
> The other method that you are thinking of hands out native IPv6 addresses.

Given that I mostly don't know about IPv6, what's the best way for
people to test IPv6 next Wednesday, given what I think are the
following common limitations:

 - they'll have one (or two if we're lucky) Fedora machines

 - they'll be using a private LAN behind a $40 router that doesn't
   know anything about IPv6

 - they have very limited time and want to do the minimum work possible
   to set it up

 - they themselves know next to nothing about IPv6
?

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v