Gnome Shell Extension manager/framework planned?

Louis Lagendijk louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 3 20:19:12 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 12:28 -0300, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am seeing a metric ton of extensions showing up for Gnome shell that
> are enhancing the shell in positive ways. Some are packaged singly;
> some are grouped together in bundles; some are configured by editing
> .js files directly. I am hesitant to install any of them because of
> the manual, bolted on feel of them and the risk of them causing
> trouble in the future.
>
> Is there some sort of extension management planned that would handle
> the separate enabling/disabling/configuration of individual extensions
> via the grand unified Settings menu?

Am I alone believing that a lot of the extensions are due to missing
configuration options? E.g. I now see already competing "extensions" for
changing the menu to add a shutdown option without having to press the
alt-key, remove some menu etc., add another hotspot etc
Do we really need all these as "extensions"? I like Gnome3, and use one
of the extensions to add the shutdown option, but believe Gnome3 needs
more configurability so we can avoid all these "corrections" as
extensions. Or is there a better way to achieve the needs of people?

Louis