Bringing down Java packages in size

Chris Jones chrisjones at comcen.com.au
Sat Jun 4 00:46:37 UTC 2011

It seems to me that as a general observation, package sizes are either
stable or coming down in size. And even the total size of the Fedora
Live CD has dropped significantly.

My example:
I installed Fedora 15 a couple of days ago. After fully updating, I
couldn't help but notice the amount of updates and packages that were
downloaded and installed for a relatively small total download.
After updating to the latest packages, I proceeded to install Java and
Flash plugins. Flash is a different situation so I won't go into that
in this post. That discussion is for another day.
But whilst installing the Java web-browser plugin, I observed that
it's not its dependancies that suck up the size but rather the
physical java packages themselves. And I just don't understand what
makes Java packages so big and bulky? I mean, I can install The GIMP
(a full image editing package) in under 10MB.

Perhaps someone can shed some light on this and perhaps more effort
put into bringing down the size of java packages, if possible?

Regards

Chris Jones