Gnome Shell Extension manager/framework planned?

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 04:43:42 UTC 2011

On 6/3/11, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
> The existence and the proliferation of extensions indicates that a lot of
> people simply are not happy with what gnome shell does out of the box, and
> that's why they use the extensions.
>
> If it were not so, then, by definition, nobody would care about these
> extensions. It's a tautology.

The cognative dissonance required to misconstrue an extension
framework that has provided people with a previously impossible amount
of customization in Gnome as something negative is quite astounding.

Please do not take this personally but I have read through sooooo many
Gnome Shell threads that have been derailed by a cacaphony of
non-constructive criticism. Before the signal to noise decay starts,
can the Gnome 3 haters please take such negative non-constructive
commentary to the many, many ... many "Gnome Sux" threads.

I am a fan of Gnome 3, I can see the big step that has been taken and
can forgive some lack of polish and wanted to start a conversation
about a possible future framework to make sure gnome was helpful for
simplicity and tweaker freaks alike. The customization potential has
given me the impetus to improve my javascript knowledge enough to try
my hand at it.

Extensibility is a potential, not a deficit.

/Mike