[fedora-arm] [Fwd: Activity Day June 10th - ARMv7 F15 hardfp bringup]

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 11:26:49 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
> On 06/05/2011 09:54 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>>
>>> And to further clarify:
>>>
>>> - This is an addition, not a switch -- the intention is to continue to
>>> support armv5tel in addition to armv7hl at this time -- Tegra and
>>> Marvell Kirkwood (including plug computer) devices which do not support
>>> armv7hl will continue to work with armv5tel.
>>
>> Err Tegra should be supported due to the use of vfpv3-d16? Correct?
>
> I think Chris wanted to see NEON as standard on armv7. I already voiced
> my disagreement to that in an earlier post. Since NEON packages can be
> used on any hardfp platform that supports NEON, I think NEON enabling
> should be handled on a package-by-package basis. It seems like a sounder
> trade-off for the sake of "rpmbuild --rebuild" with a different .rpmrc file.

Neon and hardfp are completely mutually exclusive. You can have one
with out the other in both cases (NEON on softfp, no NEON with
hardfp). The discussion above is above its to do solely with the
hardfp platform bringup and nothing to do with NEON at all. Packages
can be optimised for NEON at a later point (on both hardfp and softfp
platforms).

Peter

Peter