Quick update PPC status

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Mon Jun 6 12:26:06 UTC 2011

On 06/03/2011 05:32 PM, Robert Knight wrote:
> On 06/01/2011 12:53 PM, Phil Knirsch wrote:
>> Things have been progressing nicely and we now even have 2 mash trees
>> with install images for testing available for, one for ppc, the other
>> for ppc64:
>>
>> http://ppc.koji.fedoraproject.org/mnt/koji/mash/15/
>>
>> Those are our current development trees, so things might be broken at
>> times. Also the rpms aren't signed as we're changing stuff to fast and
>> this isn't a release.
>
> Greetings. I thank the team for this very large amount of good work.
>
> I've tried various installations with the resources mentioned on the
> pages referenced with mixed success. When I've checked the bugzilla, I
> do not find any of the problems that I've encountered reported.
>
> Is it fruitful to report difficulties with the iso's at the temporary
> location? I've started with testing on Mac G5's and did not succeed
> (font problems, followed by a Python crash.)
>
> I have succeeded in upgrading a Fedora 12 small installation with the
> mash rpms, using the standard Fedora yum upgrade, but I needed to
> install the 64 bit kernel before it would boot.
>
> How can I help this valuable effort go forward?

Hi Robert.

Thank you for your interest and willingness to help. The easiest way to
reach the folks working on the PPC support in Fedora is either via the
mailinglist[1] or even more direct via IRC on freenode[2]. Keep in mind
though that at least Dan Horak, Karsten Hopp, Adrian Reber and Jiri
Skala are located in Europe, so depending on your timezone you might
have more luck with the mailinglist.

We'll be adding tracker bugs for the various secondary archs for which
we want to do a release for Fedora 16 in the next few days, so if you
find an issue you can then link it to those tracker bugs.

Thanks again!

Regards, Phil

[2] IRC: #fedora-ppc on irc.freenode.net

--
Philipp Knirsch              | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Supervisor Core Services     | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111