F15 / VirtualBox

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Jun 9 23:30:07 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 18:37, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I'm curious why virtualbox has gained so much inertia so quickly.
>> Based solely on the number of kernel bug reports we get that seem to be
>> related to it, I have almost zero confidence in it being reliable.
>

> 1) It works in windows
> 2) It works in mac os-x
> 3) Oracle has put a lot of money/effort in pushing it via searches
>
> and probably a little of:
>
> 4) It is not from Red Hat.

5) Free as in beer Windows guest driver binaries?

Acquiring these is non-obvious for KVM/libvirt virtio blk/net Windows
guest drivers unless you're a RHEL customer.

Not arguing with the approach; merely relaying what I see from new adopters.

--
Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services