F15 / VirtualBox

Chris Jones chrisjones at comcen.com.au
Thu Jun 9 23:44:34 UTC 2011

Quoting "Dave Jones" <davej at redhat.com>:

> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 02:00:57PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>  >
>  > I don't think there are any developers working on this area, where "this
>  > area" is Virtualbox. We don't ship Virtualbox. We don't ship a kernel
>  > that has any knowledge of Virtualbox. There's a good argument for having
>  > this be part of the QA process and requiring that we boot in the common
>  > virtualisation environments as part of the release criteria, but I don't
>  > think we can realistically suggest that our virtualisation developers
>  > (who work on code that has nothing to do with Virtualbox) be responsible
>  > for that.
>
> I'm curious why virtualbox has gained so much inertia so quickly.
> Based solely on the number of kernel bug reports we get that seem to be
> related to it, I have almost zero confidence in it being reliable.
>
> Why are people choosing it over other solutions, and what can we change
> in qemu/kvm to get users using that instead ?
>
> 	Dave

I used VMware many years ago and somewhere along the line also dabbled
around with Xen. And then I got work of Virtualbox. Which not only
blew competition away regarding ease-of-use and graphical interface.
Sure, in it's early beginnings it may not have been the most
technically advanced option out there in the open-source jungle, but
that was overlooked by its aforementioned ease-of-use overall.

Over the years Virtualbox has come along in leaps and bounds, largely
due to the work of Sun Microsystems developers. Oracle seems to be
doing an ok job so far.
But as a result, VB has become basically the primary option for most
virtualization nerds who want a fast and simple virtualization package
that just does the job with minimal mucking around.

Also, for those that may not be aware, Virtualbox can be installed in
just 2 commands in your Fedora system. Assuming you have wget installed.

For 32bit:

~$ su
wget
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.0.8/VirtualBox-4.0-4.0.8_71778_fedora15-1.i686.rpm
yum install VirtualBox-4.0-4.0.8_71778_fedora15-1.i686.rpm

Or for 64bit:

~$ su
wget
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.0.8/VirtualBox-4.0-4.0.8_71778_fedora15-1.x86_64.rpm
yum install VirtualBox-4.0-4.0.8_71778_fedora15-1.x86_64.rpm

Cheers

Chris Jones