F15 / VirtualBox

Thomas Sailer sailer at sailer.dynip.lugs.ch
Fri Jun 10 12:25:21 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 08:50 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> The other feature is USB passthrough.  (KVM can do this, but IIRC it
> only works for USB 1.1 devices and it's not integrated into the UI).

Last time I tried I had to specify USB device and bus numbers. This is
quite unusable, as they are not stable, when reconnecting the device
usually gets another device number. Some way to specify USB devices by
vendor/device ID or some Manufacturer/Product/Serial string is needed.

Also, I have a strange card reader which I would love to use under some
form of virtualisation, as the accompanying application only runs under
very old versions of windows.

The card reader has the misfeature that it requires firmware to be
loaded by the PC. To get the firmware, it connects, waits about 4
seconds, and if it doesn't get anything it disconnects and reconnects
again. Now qemu/kvm is currently much too slow for this, until the host
notices the USB device and hands it over to the guest, about 5-10sec
pass.

Tom