systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Fri Jun 10 22:13:06 UTC 2011

On 06/10/2011 04:44 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Rahul Sundaram<metherid at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 06/11/2011 12:36 AM, mike cloaked wrote:
>>> Would be nice to see the systemd author join this discussion?
>>
>> I am sure you can get answers when someone is off vacation.  However
>> what would be really nice is to redirect systemd discussions to its
>> upstream mailing list.  Fedora devel is hardly the best place for it.
>>
>> Rahul
>
> OK I guess we'll get more discussion when he comes back from his
> holiday - sorry I was unaware of the vacation but thanks for
> clarifying.
>
> I guess that your reference to moving to upstream indicates that
> systemd is now sufficiently established that discussion of problems is
> an upstream issue for bug triage/fixing? I would imagine that the user
> list may have useful exchanges too but that it would be important to
> get any issues moved upstream from there too? The most important
> outcome is that bugs are fixed so whatever route is best for that
> (including bugzilla of course) users should add input to. Hence links
> to upstream for systemd are made available so that the best exposure
> to recourse to resolution is optimised?

I hope discussions continue on Fedora lists as well.  systemd impacts
lots of fedora users who just read Fedora lists.  I've subscribed to
gnome, network manager, btrfs, virt, lvm, selinux, anaconda, kickstart,
desktop, and etc.  Sure, folks subscribe to more lists than that, but
when you can't spend much timre reading the lists, having discussions
concentrated in your distro of choice's lists frees up precious time to
actively participate in testing.  As a Fedora user and tester it is far
easier to just peruse the Fedora lists.  Once systemd settles in and is
no longer viewed with suspicion, then maybe add upstream for the rare issue.

Please don't be a wet blanket, folks, let the discussions continue here.

--
Regards,
OldFart