F15 / VirtualBox

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Sat Jun 11 09:40:12 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 06/10/2011 06:12 PM, Thomas Sailer wrote:
<snip>

> - USB is not really workable. Trying it just now with up2date F15
> crashed qemu (guest rawhide) when trying to assign a host USB device to
> the guest

If you're seriously interested in usb redirection, I'm working on
seriously improving that and will continue to work on that for
a while to come. I would love some feedback wrt my current code.

Note that I'm mainly focusing on usb redirection over the network,
so that the redirected device does not need to be on the same
machine as where the vm is hosted (think viewing a vm from
another machine with vnc/spice and then wanting to redirect
a usb device from the vnc client machine).

Currently my network redirection code is already working in
a few scenarios where direct host usb redirection is not working
I do plan to eventually fixup direct host usb redirection too
(by rewriting it to use libusb and essentially be the same as
the network redir variant). But for now you will get the best
experience with the network redirection, even if you use
it over localhost.

For some instructions on setting up a test environment with
my latest wip, see:
http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/9682.html

Regards,

Hans