F15 / VirtualBox

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 14:21:45 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 16:25 +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 10/06/11 16:12, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>
> > Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>  >
> >> They are available, but I think you have to build them yourself from
> >> source.  All the information is here:
> >
> > 2. Make guest additions dead simple to install. Having to compile them
> > with a Windows DDK is not dead simple.
>
> Actually building the driver (once I'd downloaded the 620Mb DDK) was
> quite easy. I'm still scratching my head over how to actually install it
> though ;-)

Actually, even if you build the driver and get it to work, you're still
stuck with the Windows' driver signature enforcement which makes
installing unsigned drivers (such as one that you build yourself)
more-or-less impossible (I tried every possible software / hack-ware to
disable it and failed; ended up getting used to manual F8/Disable
signature enforcement boot sequence).

I fear that as long as RH doesn't MS the (protection) fees required to
"sign" the QXL driver, I fear that this issue will remain unresolved.
(On the other hand, nothing stops -me- from doing it and yet I don't see
me running to do it :))

As for the subject at hand, -I- find VB a far inferior solution when it
comes to SMP and IO (disk/network) performance.
Sure, during the years I've create a large chunk of scripts required to
deploy and configure qemu VM's, but once you pass the "I fear the qemu
command line" phase, KVM runs circles around VB. (Let alone having to
relay on a unsupported 3'rd party kernel module - a huge no-no in server
deployments)
Nothing beats starting a VM in snapshot mode, trashing it, and reverting
to the original without as much a single mouse click...

I do use VB on VT-incapable machines such as my ATOM netbook - but
that's about it.

- Gilboa