orphaning xine-lib, EOL'ing phonon-backend-xine

John5342 john5342 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 21:04:25 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 19:02, Petrus de Calguarium <pgueckel at gmail.com>wrote:

> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
> > there's one third-party KDE-Platform-based application still using
> > xine-lib for the foreseeable future: Kaffeine.
>
> kaffeine has begun to look kind of shabby. I always installed it, as xine
> appeared to have the most complete set of codecs. Can other programs now
> deal
> with everything that xine/kaffeine was a fallback for? (Sorry, I have no
> actual
> examples, off the top of my head)
>
> xine-lib is a requisite for xine-lib-extras-freeworld. Will amarok be using
> different library to play mp3 in f16?

So far as i am aware amarok just uses phonon for playback (since 2.0) so if
you use phonon-backend-xine then it uses xine and if you use
phonon-backend-gstreamer it uses gstreamer and phonon-backend-vlc uses vlc.
Hence xine-lib-extras-freeworld should make no difference to amarok when
using the default backend anyway. You probably want gstreamer-plugins-* in
f15+ (or whenever phonon-backend-gstreamer became the default) unless you
changed the back end manually.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and
those who don't...