orphaning xine-lib, EOL'ing phonon-backend-xine

John5342 john5342 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 22:23:41 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 22:59, Petrus de Calguarium <pgueckel at gmail.com> wrote:

> John5342 wrote:
>
> > Hence xine-lib-extras-freeworld should make no difference to amarok when
> > using the default backend anyway. You probably want gstreamer-plugins-* in
> > f15+ (or whenever phonon-backend-gstreamer became the default) unless you
> > changed the back end manually.
>
> Oh, so you mean I never needed to install xine-lib-extras-freeworld, since I am
> using phonon-backend-gstreamer?

Precisely.

> I can get amarok to play mp3, assuming I have
> all of the gstreamer-plugins-* installed?

Yes basically. I forget which one exactly contains the mp3 plugin but
i just install all of them and then i don't have to worry about any
other format i may one day come across.

The same plugins are also used by just about every other form of KDE
based audio/video. That includes everything from video players like
Dragon to audio players like Amarok to System Notifications etc.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...