SYSTEMD: Give us a option for upstart

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 21:45:21 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 12.06.2011 23:35, schrieb Josh Boyer:
>> On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>> PLEASE give us a option for systems upgraded with yum
>>> NOT USING "systemd" and force "upstart" as before
>>>
>>> * the system is running since years
>>> * every dist-upgrade via yum was no problem
>>> * now see screenshot
>>> * WTF is there to relabel if started with "selinux=0"-kernel-param
>>>
>>> WHY IN THE WORLD ARE USERS FORCED TO USE SYSTEMD ONLY BECAUSE
>>> THEY UPGRAD TO F15? DO THIS FOR NEW INSTALLATIONS BUT NEVER
>>> ON UPDATES
>>>
>>> I DO NOT NEED SYSTEMD ON 20 SERVERS HERE BECAUSE THEY ARE STARTING
>>> FAST ENOUGH AND I NEED NO MAGIC WHICH THINKS KNOWS WHAT TO START
>>> IN WHICH ORDER SINCE I KNOW WHAT IS RUNNING ON MY SYSTEMS
>>
>> BULL***, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!  SOUND OFF LIKE YOU GOT A PAIR!
>
> there is nothing bullshit

Oh, you were trying to have a conversation about something?  Sorry,
with all the shouting I thought we were doing impromptu Gunnery
Sergeant Hartman quotes from Full Metal Jacket.

> why are users of running systems are forced to change their
> init-system to "systemd"? "upstart" is in the repos but ignored

I actually don't know the answer to this question other than "Fedora
switched to systemd".

> WTF every three years a new pig is forced to run through the city
> and if any subsystem is runnign well and debugged some idiot
> comes out of his hole and try replace and force everybody
> to use it

Amazing what one motivated maintainer and their package can accomplish
while everyone else is shouting.

josh