SYSTEMD: Give us a option for upstart

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jun 12 22:27:43 UTC 2011

Am 13.06.2011 00:23, schrieb Steve Clark:
> On 06/12/2011 06:18 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> <sarcasm>don't you know you will save 15-30 seconds each time you boot up</sarcasm>
>> someone come out there and show me how will a 20 second-reboot on the
>> vmware-guest production servers will get 20 seconds faster
>>
>> everybody out there is crying about boot / start times
>> have the peopole nothing to do as reboot their machines?
>>
>> normally i start a computer and then it runs for a day, some weeks
>> or even some months, the same with open programs
>>
> I agree - saying a main feature of systemd is improved boot times is idiotic.  I you boot your system in the
> morning and shut it down
> at night what does 30 seconds mean out of 8*60*60 seconds? Nothing. If your are concerned with boot times suspend
> to disk!

suspend to disk with 16 GB RAM - have fun :-)

i have really no problem with "systemd" but it would be wise to
use it only for new installations to get a wider userbase without
spit current users in their face instead give them time to play
and decide while have the benefit of nerwer kernels and better
hardware-support

this time "systemd" is not trustable since if there is a problem
with httpd the anser of a "service start" is OK and the service was
not started
[root at testserver:~]$ service httpd start
Starting httpd (via systemctl): [  OK  ]