SYSTEMD: Give us a option for upstart

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jun 12 23:47:46 UTC 2011

Am 13.06.2011 00:54, schrieb Christoph Wickert:
> Am Sonntag, den 12.06.2011, 23:23 +0200 schrieb Reindl Harald:
>> PLEASE give us a option for systems upgraded with yum
>> NOT USING "systemd" and force "upstart" as before
>
> systems upgraded with yum still have upstart installed (I did it myself)
> and you can select the init as a kernel parameter, so obviously nobody
> is forced.

my first test-setup had no upstart after upgrade
this was only a minimal-installation with RAID10 to look
if the RAID is alive after update to F15

the test-machine with the troubles was even not able to reboot after
yum-upgrade, after hard restart systemd meant it can not relabel
(the system was started with selinux=0 param) and not mount a volume

after found out how to ignore this a manual "mount /mnt/storage"
mounted the volume systemd meant it could not without any issue

forcing "upstart" gives error-messages while botting about /sys and /
> Dateisysteme prüfen
> /dev/md1: sauber, 48557/1905008 Dateien, 477525/7607040 Blöcke
> /dev/md0: sauber, 38/128016 Dateien, 47146/511988 Blöcke
>                                                           [  OK  ]
> Root-Dateisystem mit Schreib- und Lesezugriff neu einhängen[  OK  ]
> mount: Laut mtab ist /dev/md1 schon auf / eingehängt
>
> Lokale Dateisysteme einhängen:                             [FEHLGESCHLAGEN]

this is a bad user experience and shows my that "systemd" had been better
delayed again for Fedora 16 to not repeat the bad things happended with
the way too early incldunfig of "pulseaudio" and "KDE4.0" AND we are
speaking here about the absolutely core-system and not a sound-daemon
or a desktop environment