Fedora 14 and "Sandy Bridge" graphics

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Sun Jun 12 23:54:49 UTC 2011

On 06/12/2011 12:00 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> is there any clean way to get newer intel-graphics drivers
> on fedora 14? performance is horrible and under kde the
> desktop often hangs for some seconds
>
> this is nothing i would expect with http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=52213

  I have done this and its working - I've used rawhide with 2.6.39
kernel and also F15. See my comments below. I'll describe what you need
to do using subset of F15.

  You need newer kernel, xorg* and mesa*.

  If you pull these from f15 you'll find that the compiler has changed -
and you will need a newer compiler - which is fine.

  You'll also need - as you discovered newer glibc - which is also fine.

  Back up your system - and then do this:

   yum --releasever=15 install kernel* xorg* mesa* perf*

 You'll need to so something like:

  yum  --releasever=15 update kernel* xorg* mesa* perf*
  yum update

to do your updates so you keep picking up just the F15 pieces you need.

  For me I could not boot the F14 install DVD at all - so I made my own
DVD using F14 plus all the pieces frmo F15 which yum tells you you need
to satisfy the above.

  The F15 kernel still seems to have a problem with the rhgb for me
using i915 (hardware has nvidia optiumus with nvidia turned off) - a bug
which has popped up now and again since 2007 - it seems not to be a
problem with 2.6.39 and later kernels - but you wont find a 2.6.39 in
koji or rawhide at the moment. (Bug is in rhgb best I can tell)

  So remove the rhgb out of the kernel line in /boot/grub/grub.conf for
the new f15 kernel you installed.

  The sympton if you dont is machine hangs when it flips rhgb after
plymouth has done its thing ... if you look in you /var/log/Xorg.0.log
you'll see something like:

   Xf860OpenConsole: VT_WAITINACTIVE_FAILED: Interrupted system call

 THe work around is avoidning rhgb for now ...

  Once kernel-3.0 has settled - that is likely your best bet.

  I have this working using F15 but am planning to move to 3.0 kernel as
soon as its settled down a bit - you'll find the fedora team working
hard to get a decent 3.0 kernel in koji.

  regards

   gene/