[FHS] helper scripts location

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Mon Jun 13 15:52:53 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 17:41 +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> > On Mon, 13.06.11 14:27, Matthew Garrett (mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org) wrote:
> >> It's a directory for arch-dependent stuff that should only exist once on
> >> a system, whereas lib is for arch-dependent stuff that may exist for
> >> multiple architectures on one system. I have no opinion on whether that
> >> distinction is important.
> >
> > That is not really how it is. /lib is for arch-dependent stuff including
> > the libraries of the primary arch. Libraries for secondary archs are
> > then put in /usr/lib{64,arch}/.
>
> On x86_64 the 64-bit arch is primary and the 32-bit arch is secondary.
>  Surely the 32-bit files don't belong to /usr/lib64?

I thinkLennart is saying that on a 64 bit system they would have to go
to /usr/lib32

But this is wasteful, it means that:
A) You cannot use the same packages on a 32bit system and a 64bit
system. You have to compile additional 32bit packages for installation
on 64bit systems, or do some fancy relocation within rpm.

B) you cannot easily convert a system from 32 -> 64 bit as you would
have to move everything around.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York