systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Denys Vlasenko dvlasenk at redhat.com
Mon Jun 13 16:18:01 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 10:17 +0200, drago01 wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Denys Vlasenko <dvlasenk at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hi Lennart,
> >
> > systemd is eating a lot more memory than any other init process
> > I ever played with.
> >
> > Granted, systemd does a bit more that "typical" init, but I think
> > using *eleven plus megabytes* of malloced space is a bit much.

Sloppy attitude like this is the reason just about any daemon
(more and more of which pop up like mushrooms in every new release,
I must add) eats at least a few megabytes of RAM.

It's quite pathetic, really. You can easily tell which software
was developed earlier just by looking at its memory usage.
Example from my machine:
Good old ssh-agent: 404 kbytes.
Shiny new dconf-service: 2452 kbytes.
Shinier newer polkitd: 2836 kbytes.
e-addressbook-factory: 5488 kbytes.

Of course. What did you think. *Addressbook*! (Empty one in my case).
No way empty addressbook can fit into 0.5 meg, it needs 5! :( :( :(

> ~11MB equals ~8 cents of RAM ... so meh.

Are you volunteering to buy more RAM for every Fedora user? ;)

--
vda