SYSTEMD: Give us a option for upstart

Denys Vlasenko dvlasenk at redhat.com
Mon Jun 13 16:30:01 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 23:39 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 12.06.2011 23:35, schrieb Josh Boyer:
> > On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> >> PLEASE give us a option for systems upgraded with yum
> >> NOT USING "systemd" and force "upstart" as before
> >>
> >> * the system is running since years
> >> * every dist-upgrade via yum was no problem
> >> * now see screenshot
> >> * WTF is there to relabel if started with "selinux=0"-kernel-param
> >>
> >> WHY IN THE WORLD ARE USERS FORCED TO USE SYSTEMD ONLY BECAUSE
> >> THEY UPGRAD TO F15? DO THIS FOR NEW INSTALLATIONS BUT NEVER
> >> ON UPDATES
> >>
> >> I DO NOT NEED SYSTEMD ON 20 SERVERS HERE BECAUSE THEY ARE STARTING
> >> FAST ENOUGH AND I NEED NO MAGIC WHICH THINKS KNOWS WHAT TO START
> >> IN WHICH ORDER SINCE I KNOW WHAT IS RUNNING ON MY SYSTEMS
> >
> > BULL***, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!  SOUND OFF LIKE YOU GOT A PAIR!
>
> there is nothing bullshit
>
> why are users of running systems are forced to change their
> init-system to "systemd"? "upstart" is in the repos but ignored
>
> WTF every three years a new pig is forced to run through the city
> and if any subsystem is runnign well and debugged some idiot
> comes out of his hole and try replace and force everybody
> to use it

I totally disagree with the way you phrase your arguments.
It is inappropriate, and actually hurts the point you are trying to
make.

However, I partially agree with the argument itself. Gnome 3 Shell
is an example of a far worse surprise, IMO, than systemd.
It's a disaster, especially for those poor souls which convinced some
firm or school or university to use Fedora, and now have to face angry
mobs of users pissed off by abrupt switch to a different desktop
manager. Talk about ruined reputations...

But at least there F15 has an alternative. Now I use XFCE.

--
vda