Fedora 14 and "Sandy Bridge" graphics

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Mon Jun 13 17:33:50 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 20:02 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 12.06.2011 19:28, schrieb Lucas:
>
> > Strange, I did exactly the same thing with Fedora 14, I add new kernel, changed xorg and intel driver.
> > But I have i686.
>
> mhh - strange - an trying to update glibc results in chaos
> "Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden" means "file not found" in english
> yes as advanced user i was able to repair this with some luck
>
> updating only the kernel/kernel-headers/kernel-devel results in
> no longer able to build kernel-modules (vmware-workstation)
>
> and this all for a graphics-driver?
> i remember times where feodra updated the kernel in the lifetime
> of a supported release and now you can do nothing if you do not
> want replace of "upstart" by "systemd", if systemd would not
> be hardly activated in F15 a dist-upgrade would be no problem
>
> BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT

This kind of language is inappropriate on Fedora mailing lists.  More
than the language, though, the "tone" of this thread is also
unfortunate.

It appears that you are unhappy and frustrated at the moment - I've seen
a few emails from you so far today in which you've used all-capitals
text.  All-capitals text is perceived by most tech people as rude.

One of Fedora's goals is to be a fast-moving distribution: systemd
offers significant improvements compared to previous init systems (for
me the integration with cgroups is particularly appealing).

The drawback with having features first, is that arguably we're the
first into the minefield.  There will always be bugs and unexpected
interactions in something as complicated as software.  FWIW, systemd was
held back from being in Fedora 14 to give it more time to mature.

Another core foundation of Fedora is "Friends"

We want our community to be a pleasant place to be.

Your initial question in this thread asked "is there any clean way to
get newer intel-graphics drivers on fedora 14?"

Gene provided an answer to that question, providing a recipe that may
provide a hybrid of parts of F14 and F15.  This may or may not work (I'm
wary of such hybrid approaches) - but I understood that Gene was trying
to be helpful.

This is the development mailing list for Fedora so the standard for "a
simple fix" may be different from the Fedora user mailing lists.

It may be that there's no "good" way to make this hybrid work (for some
definition of "good" e.g. "minimizing the number of steps", "being
maintainable" etc), and that the best way to make this hardware work is
to upgrade to Fedora 15.  It seems that you are unhappy with that, and
your unhappiness with that seems to stem from unhappiness with systemd.

Please try to redirect that into non-emotional statements of what is
wrong with the software, in a form that can be acted on, and turned into
patches.  In particular, read:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugsAndFeatureRequests
  http://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/how-to-write-good-bug-report/

It may also help to take a break from using the computer if it is making
you unhappy.

[snip rest of mail]

I hope this is helpful

Dave