orphaning xine-lib, EOL'ing phonon-backend-xine

John5342 john5342 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 18:34:18 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 02:06, Petrus de Calguarium <pgueckel at gmail.com> wrote:
> John5342 wrote:
>
>> I forget which one exactly contains the mp3 plugin
>
> gstreamer-plugins-ugly, I believe
>
>> i just install all of them and then i don't have to worry about any
>> other format i may one day come across.
>
> ditto
>
>> The same plugins are also used by just about every other form of KDE
>> based audio/video. That includes everything from video players like
>> Dragon to audio players like Amarok to System Notifications etc.
>
> Curious. I thought Dragon must use xine-lib, since both kdemultimedia and
> kdebase-runtime require it in F15.

At least in kdemultimedia, wine-lib seems to be required for dvd
support (which is usable within Fedora assuming they are not encrypted
and usable on encrypted dvds with libdvdcss) which is a little more
advanced than phonon can handle (complex and separate videos, menu
navigation etc) and therefore handled separately. I don't know about
kdebase-runtime but i imagine that has it's own independent purpose.
Dragon does seem to use phonon for most of it's stuff though.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...