conclusion: F15 / systemd / user-experience

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jun 14 00:19:38 UTC 2011

Am 14.06.2011 01:49, schrieb Kevin Kofler:
> I also miss those kernel upgrades. I think we've become much too
> conservative.

and the combination is which i really not understand

* kernel -> conservative
* kde4/gnome3/systemd -> go ahead with all consquences

and the kernel is really not a big deal because the updates
are normally not invasive

> All this "4.0 is only for developers" messaging came way too late. We had
> already worked hard on making everything work with 4.0 in pre-F9 Rawhide at
> that point.

the mistake happended long before!

as KDE4.0 was anounced for F9 nobody did know if they are
ready and which state kde4 would have in the first release

> We also worked really hard to make 4.0 work as well as possible. I made
> several (completely unpaid!) 30+ hour days to build bugfix releases, fix
> showstoppers etc. The other KDE SIG developers also worked for many hours on
> that stuff. We were able to ship Fedora 9 with no true showstopper and we
> fixed the most annoying bugs in updates before or within days of the
> release.

nobod said that there was no hard work

but is it really needed to decide major upgrades without knwoing
what state the software finally would have instead take a breath and
fixing existing bugs since every 6 months is a new release and no
reason to hurry

it would be really a godd idea to take every second release only
for bugfixing and kernel-upgrades for hardware-support and only
every econd release to bring new stuff - there are so many small
bugs and edges everywhere that there is no need for such a hurry