conclusion: F15 / systemd / user-experience

Scott Schmit i.grok at comcast.net
Tue Jun 14 00:54:30 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 02:19:38AM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 14.06.2011 01:49, schrieb Kevin Kofler:
> > I also miss those kernel upgrades. I think we've become much too
> > conservative.
>
> and the combination is which i really not understand
>
> * kernel -> conservative
> * kde4/gnome3/systemd -> go ahead with all consquences

Not addressing specifically the issue with the kernel updates, but at
least in part, the answer is simple:
* Within a release, updates should try very hard to avoid breaking
  things.
* Between releases, upgrades can change a lot. These changes are
  advertised so that users can decide if/when they want to upgrade.

> and the kernel is really not a big deal because the updates
> are normally not invasive

Not in my experience--I have had on occasion crippling kernel bugs that
come and go from update to update (hangs with no oops recorded to the
log, for example). Thankfully, that's rare, but I'd argue that it's
*because of* that conservatism, not in spite of it.

--
Scott Schmit