GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Tue Jun 14 04:51:18 UTC 2011

On 06/13/2011 08:14 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Henrik Wejdmark wrote:
>> I have been with this distro since RH4 and have had a great time doing so.
>> Almost every upgrade has been really smooth with only a few minor setbacks
>> like an odd broken dependency that was easily fixed, but F15 is the end
>> for me. I think Karl summed it up pretty well. We can't always agree with
>> every decision, but as our license fees are less than substantial :) we
>> have to live with (semi-)democratic decisions.
>>
>> I have chosen 3), not because of systemd (which I like), but GNOME3
>
> There is no need to run away from Fedora because of GNOME 3. We also have
> KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE and some other choices available for you. And you'll
> probably have to get familiar with one of those options sooner or later
> anyway, GNOME 2 is a dead end.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

  FYI - I switched to KDE - the current version is pretty nice - small
learning curve - and I found I prefer it to Gnome 2 even (def prefer to
Gnome 3). I spent a little time but not too long - it does everything I
need pretty well (I have multiple apps, terminals etc in different
workspaces).

 Its a nice refreshing update from Gnome 2 and clearly is not trying to
compete with Android - which already won the phone UI ... and quite
possible the tablet UI as well, tho that looks a little more penetrable
to me market wise.

 Enjoy whatever you decide to do ...