GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue Jun 14 06:59:52 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, June 14, 2011 06:51:18 AM Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 06/13/2011 08:14 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Henrik Wejdmark wrote:
> >> I have been with this distro since RH4 and have had a great time doing
> >> so. Almost every upgrade has been really smooth with only a few minor
> >> setbacks like an odd broken dependency that was easily fixed, but F15
> >> is the end for me. I think Karl summed it up pretty well. We can't
> >> always agree with every decision, but as our license fees are less than
> >> substantial :) we have to live with (semi-)democratic decisions.
> >>
> >> I have chosen 3), not because of systemd (which I like), but GNOME3
> >
> > There is no need to run away from Fedora because of GNOME 3. We also have
> > KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE and some other choices available for you. And
> > you'll probably have to get familiar with one of those options sooner or
> > later anyway, GNOME 2 is a dead end.
> >
> >         Kevin Kofler
>
>   FYI - I switched to KDE - the current version is pretty nice - small
> learning curve - and I found I prefer it to Gnome 2 even (def prefer to
> Gnome 3). I spent a little time but not too long - it does everything I
> need pretty well (I have multiple apps, terminals etc in different
> workspaces).
>
>  Its a nice refreshing update from Gnome 2 and clearly is not trying to
> compete with Android - which already won the phone UI ... and quite
> possible the tablet UI as well, tho that looks a little more penetrable
> to me market wise.

They are of course trying to beat Android and iOS ;-) But a different approach is
taken - not a one UX suits every needs but for desktops there's desktop user
iterface, for netbook there's netbook one (you can try it but be warned - it's
Gnome-shell step brother in some terms ;-) and now I'm trying to package Plasma
Active for tablets - another different UI. But shares most of code and most of
Plasmoids so it looks similar, behaves similar but targets different form factor
device.

I can't promise Plasma Active now as it depends on KDE Platform 4.7 (slowly
pushing it to Rawhide) and for some reasons it crashes for me on top of these
builds...

But as Kevin pointed out - all three "alternative" spins are very decent ones.
And Gnome Shell is not a bad for a first release especially.

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275