systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Jun 14 08:03:58 UTC 2011

On Mon, 13.06.11 18:18, Denys Vlasenko (dvlasenk at redhat.com) wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 10:17 +0200, drago01 wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Denys Vlasenko <dvlasenk at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > Hi Lennart,
> > >
> > > systemd is eating a lot more memory than any other init process
> > > I ever played with.
> > >
> > > Granted, systemd does a bit more that "typical" init, but I think
> > > using *eleven plus megabytes* of malloced space is a bit much.
>
> Sloppy attitude like this is the reason just about any daemon
> (more and more of which pop up like mushrooms in every new release,
> I must add) eats at least a few megabytes of RAM.
>
> It's quite pathetic, really. You can easily tell which software
> was developed earlier just by looking at its memory usage.
> Example from my machine:
> Good old ssh-agent: 404 kbytes.
> Shiny new dconf-service: 2452 kbytes.
> Shinier newer polkitd: 2836 kbytes.
> e-addressbook-factory: 5488 kbytes.
>
> Of course. What did you think. *Addressbook*! (Empty one in my case).
> No way empty addressbook can fit into 0.5 meg, it needs 5! :( :( :(
>

> > ~11MB equals ~8 cents of RAM ... so meh.
>
> Are you volunteering to buy more RAM for every Fedora user? ;)

As mentioned this is primarily the SELinux policy which we load into
RAM. I wished libselinux would optimize resource usage transparently a
bit better, but even without that we should be able to optimize this a
bit in the way systemd loads the policy.

SELinux makes boot slower and uses more resources, there is no news in
that. There's also no news in the fact that we can definitely optimize
its impact wherever we are aware of it.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.